Prevent fungal nail and athlete’s foot
Good caretaking of the feet is the first, important step for the prevention of fungal nail and athlete’s foot!
- Inspect your feet regularly to detect fungal nails and athlete’s foot and pay attention to changes in color, texture and appearance.
- Take care of your feet; wash and dry off carefully between the toes.
- Hydrate the skin. Hot weather and open shoes can cause damaged and changed skin, such as chapped skin. It is wise to regularly moisturize to keep the water balance of the skin of the feet stable.
- Purchase the right shoe size. The measurements of shoes can differce per shoe brand and producers. It is best to buy the shoes in the afternoon, when the feet are often at their at their widest size. Always choose shoes that are comfortable.
- Wear clean socks every day, preferably cotton or woolen. It is important that the socks absorb transpiration (moisture) and keep the skin dry.
- Take foot pain seriously! Symptoms that worsen or do not go away in a foreseeable timeframe would be best shown to a pedicurist.
- Cut toenails horizontally. Do not cut of corners because this can cause an ingrown nail. Use a file for the sharp edges and corners. Prevent biting or tearing the cuticles; this creates additional chances for an infection or irritation.
- Keep moving. Walking around is a way to keep weight under control and a good manner to train the feet.
- Change shoes daily. Feet contain sweat glands, the moisture from the glands are aborbed by the shoes. Shoers therefore need to be completely dry when wearing them again. Avoid synthetic fabrics.
- Always wear sandals or flipflops in and around swimming pools, changing rooms or public areas to protect your feet against fungal infections. Fungi live in warm, humid surroundings.
- Protect your feet with sun lotion to prevent sunburn. Even when wearing sandals!
- Choose cotton or woolen socks to keep your feet dry and fresh. Change your socks daily or even more often when you experience a high level of sweat.
- Treat athlete’s foot immediately, the infection can spread to toes/nails. In case of an infection, it is adviced to wear socks and shoes that are treated with an anti-fungal product.